June 17th was Mom's 86th birthday and she enjoyed it

Posted: 6/18/2009 by Floyd in Labels:
2

Well usually I do not add any personal blogs but on this occasion I figured I would blog about my Mom's 86th birthday it was yesterday and she has been in the nursing home for about three months now, she actually went in back in March of this year. We ended up getting her an ice cream cake and she could not eat very much due to the fact that she is a diabetic, I got her a balloon and beef roast, peas and cornbread (this is some of her favorite foods) she really enjoyed the meal for a change because lately she has just had hardly any appetite to eat anything.

On average I see her almost on a daily basis, because for a number one reason being one has to watch them a little closely at the nursing home uh, not to throw off on all nursing homes but they do vary from one to another I guess after an initial disagreement the nursing home seems to be more or less doing it's job and Mom seems to be doing as well as expected there. She seemed to enjoy the little party put on for her by me and my girlfriend and was in a festive and enjoyable mood and sometimes her mood anymore is one way one minute and another the next, but I was really glad that this time it was almost consistent.

I am glad that I have learned some time ago not to take anything for granted and while our parents are with us help and do for them what we can, because they have done so much for us and I know from losing my Father that when they are gone it leaves a mighty big space in one's heart and I was real glad to see her enjoying herself and in a good mood it really made her happy, even though, she had told me a few days prior not to do anything for her birthday. So if any reading this have an elderly parent or grand-parent do something on those days whether it be a birthday or other, you won't regret it.

Related; Nursing home the final stage and my experience

Technorati Tags: , ,

2 comments:

  1. Gran says:

    Happy birthday to your mom, Floyd. And you are so right, to spend time with her now. I spent lots of time with my mom and dad before they died, my dad in 1999 and my mom three years ago.

    Sometimes I miss them both so much, but I have my memories, the good and the not so good!

    Great post, Floyd.

  1. Floyd says:

    Thanks gran, that was what I was thinking spend as much time as I can with her and I know we never forget them it gets easier with time but it is always there. My dad passed in 1978 and it still sometimes seems not that long ago.