New computer, trying to tweak it a little

Posted: 12/06/2008 by Floyd in Labels:
5

Got this new computer and have not been able to blog much,I have been trying it out so to speak and see what I can do without right from the start I deleted Norton, and the 60 day trial of Microsoft Office. Why you need Microsoft Office when there is Open Office Dot Org,and I can make PDF with this one not to mention a lot of other things and it is free and to me does what Office does.

Here is the computer I ended up getting it is another HP, my old Pavilion has done such a good job figure I would stay with the product, this one is so quient I don't even know it is on except to see the light, that is how quiet this unit runs. First thing I did was get rid of that annoying clicking sound from IE, in Vista,,click on start and then control panel, in control panel click on Hardware and Sound, then go to the heading of sound and click on change system sounds, go to windows explorer and set the complete navigation to none and make sure the start navagation is set to none apply and ok and no more annoying clicking sound.

I have been reading a lot of good article's on the web about what I can disable or get rid of from starting up and have been working on this, everything seems to be working fine so far no problems. Really surprises me in a way no disaster as of yet, another first thing i have done of course is to download firefox web browser, because I can't do without all the add-ons I can get with it not to mention I think it is more secure.

One of the quickest little themes for firefox vista; Whitehart Theme
Also as promised at the bottom of this page see the photostream that is incorporated into this theme I put some photo's on flikr and linked to the stream,every blog template should have this feature.

Other Reading;
Tech Republic
12 unneccessary features
Windows media center
User access control

5 comments:

  1. Gran says:

    Good for you for deleting Norton! I have found Norton useless. Enjoy your new computer.

  1. Floyd says:

    Almost forgot IE gives me a pop up window every time I am in blogger to ask me about non secure items,if you want to make that go away either pm me or ask here and I will tell you,I assume at default IE does this to everyone.

  1. Floyd says:

    After I had some bad luck with Norton I always delete it and put avira free edition on there.

  1. Gran says:

    Yeah, I made that annoying little window go away :) Thanks.

  1. Floyd says:

    That thing was annoying.