It's Dixie Chicks vs. Country Fans, but Who's Dissing Whom? - New York Times

Posted: 5/25/2006 by Floyd in
6

I disagree with some of this article, you can't put all of country music fans squarely in the die hard conservative party and trying to do this will surely distance some fans, Tim McGraw and Faith spoke out against Katrina and all seemed well and I also watched the Academy of Country Music awards and heard what Reba said and it sounded rather biased and idiotic at the same time. Some of my favorite Country Music artists are; Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Brad Paisley and the Dixie Chicks to name a few and let me get back to the awards and yes Reba did get an ovation but let me go further there may be more red-necks if you will who are moderates and yes liberal also, and I believe Country Music is walking a more fine line than they realize. I grew up listening to the I-cons of Country who are Hank Williams Sr.,Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Ernest Tubb to name but a few and I would not consider myself far-right. For Country Music to go down the road of putting Americans in a category, it could back-fire?
It's Dixie Chicks vs. Country Fans, but Who's Dissing Whom? - New York Times

6 comments:

  1. Jim says:

    Merle Haggard has changed from his "Okie from Muskogee" days. He's one that sees nothing good about Bush's War.

  1. Floyd says:

    Hi Jim I see you know a few of the old I-Cons also, Tim and Faith are not to crazy about the handeling of Katrina. And it is like I said Jim you can't glob all of us in the same PT-109 if you know what I mean? People listen to Country Music all over from New York to L.A., and in all walks of life, really it is like saying this guy listens to Blues like Muddy Waters and Ray Charles, but they all ain't Democrats. And when I heard Reba say that it just struck a nerve with me.

  1. Floyd,

    Just for the record, I know you've probably seen me trash some modern country artists and I hope you don't take any offense- my wife gets mad as hell at me when I get on a tirade about CMT. I trash pop country radio constantly on the net and in the real world , but I still listen to it as a general rule. Not of all of it sucks- and I haven't dismissed the possibility that I'm becoming an old man earlier than expected.

  1. Floyd says:

    Hey Chad, nice to hear from you again.
    I listen to a lot of music, country is one of them what really disturbed me was the crack Reba made about the Chicks, it could very well alienate some fans.
    I also like Pink and she did a good job on a hate Bush song, but music is music it is not defined by politics and that is why I did not like what Reba said. Hey you have to come by more often, see ya Chad.

  1. Anonymous says:

    I thought it was great that Tim McGraw and Faith Hill did a KAtrina relief concert nor do i blame them for speaking poorly of the president. His handling of the situation was pretty poor. While it wasnt his fault alone, he is still one of the major players to be blamed and i am just glad they are raising money to help the state get back on their feet.

  1. Floyd says:

    Right on anonymous it was great they are two of my all time favorites, and no matter who they may say is not doing a good job, I like them anyway, this is America the land of the free. I bought the Chick's CD last week they have a lot of good tunes on there, and sound as good as ever. Thanks for the comment drop by anytime.